2018 August A. Rendigs National Products Liability Moot Court Competition
- Event Schedule
- Important Dates
- Online Registration
- Competition Rules
- Competition Problem
- Team Briefs
- Pictures from 2017 Main competition and Event Banquet
Dear Moot Court Competitor:
The 31st Annual August A. Rendigs, Jr. National Moot Court Competition is the only national competition devoted to products liability law. The competition honors Mr. August A. Rendigs, Jr. (1895-1988), one of Cincinnati’s most respected trial lawyers. This competition is open to thirty teams from ABA-accredited law schools. The competition will take place over two days, March 23-24, 2018.
Each competing team will write one appellate brief and argue both on and off-brief. Each team must consist of two to three competitors. Only participants that have prepared an appellate brief may argue at the competition. Two out of the three contributors are required to argue at least once during the three preliminary rounds. Based on preliminary round performance, teams will be selected to advance to the elimination rounds.
We strive to recruit competition judges who are distinguished members of the bench and bar. The individuals listed below made up the final round panels in previous competitions:
- Justice Terrence O'Donnell – Supreme Court of Ohio
- Justice Steven David – Supreme Court of Indiana
- Judge Eugene E. Siler – Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Judge James G. Carr – United States District Court for Northern District of Ohio
- Judge John M. Steadman – Senior Judge, District of Columbia Circuit Court of Appeals
- Justice Patrick F. Fischer – Supreme Court of Ohio
- Judge Denise P. Hood – United States District Court for Eastern District of Michigan
- Justice Brent D. Benjamin – Supreme Court of West Virginia
- Justice Stephen J. Markman – Supreme Court of Michigan
- Justice Donald L. Corbin – Supreme Court of Arkansas
- Justice William Ray Price – Supreme Court of Missouri
In addition to the competition, we host a semi-formal dinner banquet on the first night of the competition at the historic Hilton Netherlands Plaza Hotel. The Netherlands Plaza is a fixture of Cincinnati history, built into Carew Tower, the second-tallest building in Cincinnati, its design and construction was done in an effort to rival the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City. It is a fine example of French Art Deco architecture and serves some of the best food and drinks in the city.
Registration can be completed through our online registration portal and registration fees must be paid via check, made payable to the University of Cincinnati Moot Court Board. Please mail your check(s) by the postmark deadline of January 12, 2018 to the following address:
Moot Court Honor Board
University of Cincinnati College of Law
ATTN: Rendigs Competition Co-directors
P.O. Box 210040
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0040
We hope you will join us for this year’s competition. For more information or if you have any questions of concerns, please contact Tim Lynch at 215-527-3920 and Tat'yana Lavrinenko at 216-973-4140. They can be reached by email at Rendigsmootcourtcompetition@gmail.com.