Summer Work Study
To be considered for the Federal Summer Work Study grants, a student needs first to fill out FAFSAs for both the current year and prior year and sign up for the IRS Retrieval Tool.
- Fill out Summer Work Study form and Class Registration form.
1) Turn in SWS and Class Registration form to Nancy Ent
2) You will be notified by Nancy Ent when you are awarded; THEN
- Once you are awarded Summer Work Study in the amount of $2500, Nancy Ent will let you know and send you a job link:
Go to “Check my Aid” for ONESTOP. The aid will be in the CURRENT SCHOOL YEAR for most people, but you can also check THE FOLLOWING YEAR if you cannot find it. IT WILL SAY SUMMER WORK STUDY AND THE AMOUNT IS $2500. SELECT "ACCEPT" FROM THE SINGLE BOX DROP-DOWN MENU ON THE LOWER RIGHT AND CLICK "SUBMIT" FROM THE OPTIONS BELOW. THE NEXT SCREEN YOU WILL BE TAKEN TO WILL BE THE CONFIRMATION OF YOUR ACCEPTANCE. PLEASE SAVE THE SCREEN AS A .PDF [MAC: COMMAND +P, SAVE AS, .PDF] OR A .DOC WORD FILE IN ORDER TO BE PREPARED FOR THE NEXT STEP.
Nancy Ent will send you an email with a link to begin the hiring application process in People Admin (UC’s hiring website). You will have to attach your award notice from the previous step to the on-line application. YOU MUST EMAIL YOUR CONFIRMATION NUMBER FROM THE ON-LINE APPLICATION TO firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: DO NOT FORWARD ANY EMAIL CONCERNING HIRING LINKS BECAUSE THE LINK IS UNIQUE TO THE PARTICULAR PROGRAM YOU ARE IN.
(AS OF SEPTEMBER 2012) ALL STUDENTS WILL HAVE TO BE ONBOARDED REGARDLESS OF WHETHER YOU HAVE PREVIOUSLY WORKED WITH THE UNIVERSITY (THE EXCEPTION WOULD BE IF YOU ARE CURRENTLY ON UC PAYROLL.
FILL OUT THE HIRING PACKET for “on-boarding” to complete the hiring process. The next step is to have it officiated by Human Resources (you will be advised of dates for on-boarding at University Pavilion in April, but AFTER MAY 14 GO TO: University Hall, 51 Goodman Ave. (Human Resources) located at the 3rd floor of University Hall. It is open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
The I-9 form requires that you bring with you acceptable and ORIGINAL documents for identification and verification of your employment eligibility. If you have a U.S. Passport, this is the ONLY document you will need. If you do not, you will need to bring TWO forms of documents, i.e., Driver’s license (UC ID, or state ID) AND Social Security Card. Acceptable forms are listed on the last page of I-9 Form.
This is a list of the on-boarding materials:
- Declaration of Material Assistance Form
- I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification Form (please read the instruction carefully and bring acceptable documents listed in page 5)
- Statement Concerning a Job Not Covered by Social Security – Form SSA 1945 (OPERS)
- Ohio Ethics Law and Related Statutes Acknowledgement
- Ohio Ethics Law and Related Statutes Acknowledgement Outline
When you are complete for hiring you will receive an email from the University Human Resources Dept. (HR).
AFTER HIRING PROCESS FINISHED: This applies to ALL STUDENTS HIRED FOR SUMMER WORK STUDY:
NOTE: THIS IS HOW YOU SIGN UP FOR DIRECT DEPOSIT FOR YOUR PAYCHECK. Employee Self Service is available through the UC Flex Portal at https://www.ucflex.uc.edu. You cannot sign on to this website until one day after your start date (which is law school graduation).
Your USERID and password is your UC Central Login
- Please note that if you are going to leave town or be out of the country, you should sign up for ESS with your permanent address, or an address for your parents, or a trusted individual so that if the direct deposit does not catch your first paycheck it can be deposited in your absence.
- Extremely important: You must update your address and bank information to avoid delay in your pay.
- You should check your pay statement regularly. Any problem has to be reported to the Payroll Officer in the Dean’s Office (across from Registrar) immediately. There is only a three month window to correct payroll errors.