Urban Morgan Institute for Human Rights Hosts the William J. Butler Human Rights Medal Ceremony and Conference
Date: March 11, 2011
Location: Room 118, College of Law, University of Cincinnati
Webcast: Click here for Webcast
The Urban Morgan Institute will award The William J. Butler Human Rights Medal to Paul Hoffman, a partner at Schonbrun, DeSimone, Seplow, Harris & Hoffman, LLP. As part of the proceedings, a panel on corporate accountability under the Alien Tort Statute will be organized. 2 hours of CLE free.
For more information contact: Nancy Ent (513 556 0068) email@example.com
Meet Paul Hoffman
In November 1999 Paul Hoffman became a partner in Schonbrun, De Simone, Seplow, Harris & Hoffman, LLP. Prior to that, he had established his own law firm. His practice has been in the areas of constitutional and civil rights litigation, including First Amendment, discrimination, and privacy litigation, and general business litigation; including copyright and trademark litigation. In October 1998, he was named one of the 100 most influential attorneys in California by the Daily Journal and in February 1999 one of the top trial lawyers in Los Angeles County by the Los Angeles Business Journal.
Representative Sample of Human Rights Activities
- Legal Director, ACLU Foundation of Southern California, Los Angeles, California. September 1984 - February 1994.
- Amnesty International: Since August 1999 he has been a member of AI's 9 member International Executive Committee which oversees AI's operations throughout the world.
- Amnesty International - USA: Chair of the Board (1997-99, 1988-89); Member, Executive Committee (1984-1989, 1992-94, 1997-99); Member of Board (1983-89, 1992-94, 1996-99); Chair, International Council Meeting (1991-97); Founder and National Coordinator, AIUSA Legal Support Network (1982-87); Chair of December 1998 International Summit of Human Rights Defenders (Paris, France). He has undertaken several human rights missions, diplomatic missions (e.g. as a delegate to United Nations meetings) and trial observations for AI. Frequently represented AIUSA in the media.
- Human Rights Watch: Member of California Committee; Member of Advisory Committee to Asia Watch; Research mission to Ethiopia (1994)
- Article19 (International Centre Against Censorship): Member of International Board (since 1999); Chair of 1995 International Conference on Freedom of Expression and National Security (Johannesburg, South Africa).
- International League for Human Rights: Member of Board
- Center For Human Rights and Constitutional Law: Member of Board
- International Human Rights Law Group: Member of Domestic Advisory Committee