- v: (513) 556-4407
- f: (513) 556-6265
Associate Director of Public & Research Services
BA, Monmouth College
MS, University of Illinois
JD, Northern Illinois University
Areas of Interest
- Legal Research and Writing
- Technology and the Law
Susan Boland is the Associate Director of Public & Research Services for the University of Cincinnati Robert. S. Marx Law Library. She teaches legal research and offers reference and research support services to all law library users. Prior to joining the law library faculty, she was the Head of Information Services for the Ruth Lilly Law Library at the Robert H. McKinney School of Law and the Research & Instructional Services librarian at Northern Illinois University College of Law. She has also held positions at a public library and community college library and served as a judicial clerk for the Iowa District Court for the Fifth Judicial District. She is a member of various professional associations both regionally and nationally, and was Chair of the Computing Services Special Interest Section of the American Association of Law Libraries. She has presented at regional and national conferences, as well as at continuing legal education programs. Her publications include annotated bibliographies on the death penalty and election law, as well as articles on legal research, technology, and teaching.
- Don’t Flip Out Over Flipped Classrooms, ALL-SIS Newsletter, Winter 2014, at 20, http://www.aallnet.org/sections/all/resources/newsletter/archives/33-2.pdf
- Flipping Classes: Can It Work for You?, Ohio Reg’l Assoc. of Law Lib. Newsletter, Sept. 2013, at 10, http://orall.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/September2013Newsletter.pdf.
- AALL Program Reviews: Cutting Beyond the Bone: Managing in an Age of Austerity, ALL-SIS Newsletter, Fall 2011, at 17, http://www.aallnet.org/sections/all/resources/newsletter/archives/31-1.pdf.
- Book Review (reviewing Laura Solomon, Doing Social Media So It Matters: A Librarian’s Guide), AALL Spectrum Blog (Feb. 2, 2011), http://aallspectrum.wordpress.com/2011/02/02/book-review-doing-social-media-so-it-matters-a-librarian%E2%80%99s-guide-by-laura-solomon/
- Beyond PowerPoint, MAALL Markings, Apr. 2009, at 5, http://www.aallnet.org/chapter/Maall/April2009a.pdf
- TechBuzz: Portable Applications, Chi. Ass’n L. Libraries Bull., Summer 2008, at 33, http://new.chicagolawlib.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/callbull196.pdf.
- O Brave New World? Electronic Voting Machines and Internet Voting: An Annotated Bibliography, 27 N. ILL. U.L. Rev. 313 (2007) (with Therese Clarke Arado).
- Life on a Stick, 6 Connecting… (CS-SIS Newsletter), May 2007, at 7, http://cssis.org/sites/cssis.org/files/7Connecting2.pdf.
- Keeping Up on the War on Spyware, 6 Connecting… (CS-SIS Newsletter), May 2006, at 7, http://cssis.org/sites/cssis.org/files/6Connecting2.pdf
- Internet Moment: Summer Associate Resources, Chi. Ass’n L. Libraries Bull., Summer 2005, at 12, http://www.aallnet.org/chapter/call/publications/callbull196.pdf.
- Internet Moment: Spring is in the Air, Chi. Ass’n L. Libraries Bull., Spring 2005, at 24, http://new.chicagolawlib.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/callbull195.pdf.
- Internet Moment: Business News RSS Feeds, Chi. Ass’n L. Libraries Bull., Winter 2005, at 13, http://new.chicagolawlib.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/callbull194.pdf.
- Internet Moment: Spyware - One Woman’s Journey to the Brink of Insanity, Chi. Ass’n L. Libraries Bull., Fall 2004, at 19, http://new.chicagolawlib.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/callbull193.pdf.
- AALL 2004: Inspiration, Education, and Opportunity, Chi. Ass’n L. Libraries Bull., Fall 2004, at 23, http://new.chicagolawlib.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/callbull193.pdf.
- Internet Moment: So You Want to Write Fiction..., Chi. Ass’n L. Libraries Bull., Spring 2004, at 26, http://new.chicagolawlib.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/callbull191.pdf.
- Internet Moment: Virtual Reference, Chi. Ass’n L. Libraries Bull., Winter 2004, at 23, http://new.chicagolawlib.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/callbull190.pdf.
- Internet Moment: Learning Styles, Chi. Ass’n L. Libraries Bull., Fall 2003, at 24, http://new.chicagolawlib.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/callbull189.pdf.
- Internet Moment: The CALL Website, Chi. Ass’n L. Libraries Bull., Summer 2003, at 14, at http://new.chicagolawlib.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/callbull188.pdf.
- Web-based Lints, 3 Connecting… (CS-SIS Newsletter), June 2003, at 1, available at http://cssis.org/sites/cssis.org/files/3Connecting2.pdf.
- Legal Research Word Search, in 11th National Legal Research Teach-in Training Resource Kit 163 (Gail A. Partin, ed., 2003).
- Legal Research Crossword, in 11th National Legal Research Teach-in Training Resource Kit 165 (Gail A. Partin, ed., 2003).
Advanced Legal Research