Harris Distinguished Practitioner Series: Justice Dana Fabe
September 23, 2010 9:00am - September 23, 2010 5:00pm
The Honorable Dana Fabe, Alaska Supreme Court
Thursday, September 23-24
Justice Dana Fabe has served on the Alaska Supreme Court since March 1996 and is the first woman to serve on the court. She served as Chief Justice of the Supreme Court from July 2000-2003 and she was elected to a second term as Chief Justice from July 2006-2009. During both terms as Chief Justice, she served as second vice-president of the Conference of Chief Justices. Justice Fabe was born in Cincinnati, Ohio and holds a B.A. degree from Cornell University and a J.D. degree from Northeastern University School of Law. Justice Fabe clerked for Justice Edmond W. Burke of the Alaska Supreme Court in 1976-77. She served as a staff attorney for the Alaska Public Defender Agency from 1977-81, and in 1981 she was appointed by the governor to be Chief Public Defender for Alaska. Justice Fabe was appointed to the superior court bench in Anchorage in 1988 and was Deputy Presiding Judge of the Third Judicial District from 1992-95, as well as a Training Judge for the Third Judicial District. Justice Fabe serves on the Advisory Council of the American Judicature Society and is Chair of its Judicial Ethics Advisory Committee. She currently chairs the Alaska Supreme Court's Civil Rules Committee, the Alaska Court System's Law Day Steering Committee, and the Alaska Teaching Justice Network. She co-chairs the Alaska Supreme Court=s Fairness and Access Initiatives and chairs the Fairness, Diversity, and Equality Committee. She has served as co-chair of the Alaska Bar Association's Gender Equality Section and is President of the National Association of Women Judges. Justice Fabe is married to Randall Simpson, and they have a daughter, Mia.
Thursday, Sept. 23
9:00 - 9:55 am: Professor Bradley's Judicial Extern Class - Room 100A
Discussion of what judge seeks in a law clerk. Students not registered for this course may attend (please contact Prof. Bradley if you are interested).
10:00 - 11:00 am: Informal meeting with students in 1st floor cafeteria area. Justice Fabe will be spending this hour talking about any issues students wish to bring up.
11:10 am - 12:05 pm: Professor Smith's Lawyering I class
Noon: Justice Fabe will attend Dean Emeritus Tomain's Schott lecture
1:30 - 2:55 pm: Professor Bettman's Ohio Supreme Court seminar
Friday, Sept. 24
Students: If you are interested in attending one of these programs, please contact Dean Mina Jefferson on Simplicity to see if there are slots still available.
Justice Fabe is spearheading two programs on behalf of the National Association of Women Judges
10:00 - Noon: The Color of Justice Program
Session 1 -- 10:00 - 11:00 am, Room 118. Panel discussion on careers in law.
Moderated by Judge Margaret Clark
- Angie Jackson, Ohio Justice & Policy Center
- Nate Lampley, Managing Partner, Vorys, Sater, Seymour & Pease LLP
- Ohio State Senator Eric Kearney
- The Honorable Nadine Allen, Hamilton County Court of Common Pleas
- Justice Dana Fabe, Alaska Supreme Court
Session 2 -- 11:00 - 11:45 am
Interaction program discussing and debating whether a mosque should be built at the site near ground zero.
Noon: Box lunches for attendees and panelists
Law School Atrium
1:00 - 3:00 pm
Students in small groups will spend about 5 minutes each with the following mentors to discuss their career paths and ask any questions they wish.
- Hon. Fanon Rucker, Hamilton County Municipal Court
- Hon. William Mallory, Jr., Court of Appeals, First Appellate District of Ohio
- Wende Cross, private practice attorney, WC Cross and Associates LLC
- Kathy Brinkman, private practice attorney, Porter Wright Morris & Arthur
- Hon. John West, Hamilton County Court of Common Pleas
- Hon. Dana Fabe, Alaska Supreme Court
- Hon. Margaret Clark, Brown County Juvenile Court
- Hon. Jane Craney, Indiana Superior Court
- Hon. Elaine B. Brown, Indiana Court of Appeals
- Regina Campbell, Legal Aid Society of Greater Cincinnati
- Hon. Ted Berry, Hamilton County Municipal Court
- Barb Howard, private practice attorney, Barbara J. Howard Co. LPA
- Hon. Ethna Cooper, Hamilton County Court of Common Pleas
- Hon. Susan Laker Tolbert, Administrative Judge, Hamilton County Court of Domestic Relations
- Louise Roselle, private practice attorney, Waite Schneider Bayless & Chesley
- Alan Triggs, Magistrate, Hamilton County Municipal Court